Sunday, July 23, 2006

Cockroach Catastrophe!

‘Abba, there he is! Hit him! Quick, quick! He’s getting away!’

‘Slap!’ ‘Slap!’ went the flap.

‘khisss’ ‘khisss’ hissed the cockroach-killer(I’m not going to mention any brand names for publicity without getting good cash :P)

‘Where is he?’
‘Where did he go?’
‘Check under the sofa…! Don’t let him get away!’

When this was happening, I was standing in front of the kitchen sink, glaring at the dirty dishes (they started glaring first! I was just making sure they knew who was boss). It was while glaring at an extremely greasy saucepan that I realized that I was in the danger zone – the ‘thing’ was most likely to flee into the kitchen, the area closest to it.

Whoosh! One second I had been glaring at that dirty saucepan and the next second I was in the bedroom, on top of the bed, informing my parents about the creepy crawly’s course.

‘There! He’s going under the table!’ I pointed, jumping up and down on the bed in excitement.


‘Khissssssssssssss,’ went the cockroach-killer. ‘Khissssssssss!’


‘Kill him! Don’t let him come into the bedroom!’ roared all three of us (us three sisters) from our fortresses.


Conscience: Fortresses? Where did you come up with that?

Abeer: Don’t listen to him…he’s got no imagination.

Conscience: Hey! I’m the one who’s constantly working hard so that the angels on your right shoulder have something to do.

Abeer: Hey… I do good stuff on my own too, you know! I was going to wash those dishes!

Conscience: That’s just because it was your turn! You would have never done them on your own!

Abeer: *has nothing to say* hehe... why don’t we go back to the story?


Back to the story:

My parents couldn’t find the pesky little bug. They were about to give up the search when suddenly it shot out from under the buffet into the bedroom.


‘Aaaaaaaaaah…! Get him before he goes under the cupboard!’ we screamed.

But it was too late. The cockroach was just too clever… he scampered right under the cupboard. And that was it! It was the end of the search because everyone knew that the cockroach would never come out from under there as long as the cockroach-killer was sitting outside waiting for him.

So what were we to do? Just sit around in fear all night?
Keep-ourselves-in-a-state-of-‘constant vigilance’-by-drinking-loads-of-coffee-and-eating-tons-of-chocolate-every-second? (Cookie monster says: Yes! Yes! That’s my most favorite thing in the world!)

What? What were we to do? To sleep or not to sleep? That was the question?


Narrator: Curious about what happens next? Well, if you are, you’ll just have to wait and find out in the next episode of ‘Cockroach Catastrophe.’

No comments: