Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Can the tea arrive two-hour early?

Asslam-Alaikum!


A day before yesterday, I learned a very important lesson. It was during one of my late night browsing through some Old Reader’s Digests, that I came across a very inspiring story…

Around 3:30a.m. I stopped trying to force myself to sleep. For the past two hours I had been doing nothing except for staring at the ceiling or trying to ignore my sister’s snores. I had tried everything in my power to fall asleep… I was furious at the sand man! –That dumb mythical little guy was just too lazy to put sand in my eyes! Sigh.’

Wondering what I would do at 3:30a.m. in the night, I tossed my blanket over my younger sister, and scrambled out of bed. I switched on the light. And Glad that my sister had not woken up and started to yell, I dived for the books on my bedside table. After rummaging for a while I settled with my standard choice: Readers Digest.
(I’m surprised; I didn’t pick Prisoner of Zenda! It was bound to act as a sleeping pill! : P)

After flipping for a while I settled on an article about Earthquakes in Japan. The article told about a particular Earthquake that hit the city of Kobe, a place, where it had not hit for four centuries. In just 20 seconds the city was wrecked and unrecognizable. The article had many accounts by people, but the one that inspired me most, was that of two women.

The earthquake had disrupted the electricity supply. As a result, a patient named Hanjiro, struggled between life and death. He had been on a automatic respirator for the past two years--It would pump air to his lungs through a permanent opening in his throat. When the electricity went out, the respirator stopped, cutting his air supply. In a panic-stricken second, his wife Toshiko and daughter Mari quickly attached a manual respirator. However affective, this respirator had its disadvantage: keep pumping a rubber sac! It was going to be a difficult and tiring task…

For 55 hours both mother and daughter pumped about 32,000 times, taking only meager five-minute naps. When the electricity finally arrived, the women were relived of this task. Later on, reporters asked Toshiko what it had felt like holding her husband’s life in her hands?
Her reply was rather moving and inspiring to me…

“Just as though it had been my own life.”

People are ready to do so much for others, even if they know that they might not get anything in return. Some children to their parents… Just thinking of this raises questions in my mind:

Would I have been able to do the same for any of my family member?
Am I helpful and caring of my parents?

I’m pretty lazy and sort of “spoilished bratty” when it comes to doing something for my parents or sisters. I tend to avoid helping others as much as possible. When it comes to making tea for my parents. Well…you can get an idea form the fact that it often arrives two hours late.

The same case is with dusting, picking clothes of the drying rack, cleaning my room, clearing the table, tidying my cupboards and… list goes on and on. Not that I’m a spoiled brat whose room resembles a junkyard but I’m not very clean either…I tend to avoid doing small work around the house. Washing dishes is at the top of my-created list
Called: “Risky! GO WATCH T.V”


But, since I’ve read this article, I’ve decided to change myself. I think its time that the tea should arrive two hours early:)

About other people my age…I suppose they must simply love sitting on the computer, watching T.V and leaving empty boxes and plates in the fridge. I know, its fun,! A lottttttttttttt of fun!
But, at the same time, do realize that there are people living around us, who we need to take care of. Lend in a hand in small household work; wash the dishes once in awhile. You’ll have much more fun watching T.V, once you know your mum’s not angry with you. Plus, Allah has also commanded us to be dutiful to our parents.
The command of obeying one’s parents and taking care of them is just after the command of obeying and following Allah:
Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 17 Surah Bani Israel verses 23-24:Your Lord has enjoined the following: You should not worship anyone but Him Alone! Treat your parents with great kindness; if either or both of them attain old age, do not even say ‘uff’ to them; nor rebuke them; but speak to them kind words. Treat them with humility and tenderness and pray, “O our Lord, be merciful to them, just as they brought me up with kindness and affection in my childhood.”
Even the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) used to help around the house.
Do try it; I’m going to do too. Besides, a little bit of cleaning hurts nobody “OR” does it??!


Well, I’ll just have to find out!
Tooodlee Seyanara
Allah-Hafiz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The creation is the family of Allah. And the dearest of the creations to Allah is one who is best to His family.” Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h)

It has been reported in an authentic narration that: a man came to the Prophet (saws) and said “ O Prophet of Allah (saws), what is the act or deed most loved by Allah?”
The Prophet (saws) replied: “To pray ones prayers on time.”
The man asked further: “What (deed or act most loved by Allah) next?”
The Prophet (saws) replied: “Obedience to ones parents.”
The man asked further: “What (deed or act most loved by Allah) next?”
The Prophet (saws) replied: “Jihaad in the Way of Allah.”

No comments: