Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Ready for Ramadan?




The month of fasting, the month of blessings is here! It is such a peaceful and serene month, filling me with inner joy and satisfaction leaving no room for frustration no matter how many traffic jams I get stuck into or how many times the electricity  plays hide n seek! This month makes everything seem beautiful.

It is heartening to see all the Muslims humbling themselves before their Creator and distancing themselves from worldly chores and stressful activities. Obediently, we all fast throughout the day and then pray and supplicate in some portions of the night. Allah (swt) says in the Quran:


"Fasting is perscribed to you as it was perscribed to those before you, so that you may learn self restraint."

Hoping to find the night of destiny, ‘Laylat-ul-Qadr’, trying to offer Taraweeh (Optional night prayer) everyday and watching the young, eager kids getting ready for their first ever fast… these are some of the lovely things of Ramadan.

And who can forget the scrumptious meals prepared at Iftari? Dates, samosas, jalebi, spring rolls, chana chaat, fruit chaat, Dahee Badhe, sandwiches and many juices and sherbets. We hungrily wipe out every plate and drain down the last drop of juice. *Yum yum* However, while you are tucking in, do remember to avoid surfeiting and to share your blessings. Do not waste your money on ‘All you can eat’ eateries; rather use it to help your fellow human beings. With the rising food prices, it is getting difficult for many to get food and clean water. We can help them and earn great rewards!

This year, I am specially looking forward to Ramadan because I hope to smoothen out my rough edges. After all what better month to turn into a polished, new leaf than Ramadan! I want to purify my heart, soul and keep a closer eye on my tongue and hands. I pray to Allah to give me strength. Ameen.

No comments: